71
      Tuesday
      86 / 65
      Wednesday
      89 / 68
      Thursday
      86 / 64

      12-year-old girl dies, electrocuted in pool

      Syracuse Police are investigating the death of a 12-year-old girl, electrocuted to death around 7:15pm on Friday at 102 Second North Street.

      Police say Paige Scheel was filling an inflatable pool with water in her backyard when, according to a witness, she picked up an extension cord or electric pump plugged into an outlet. Scheel immediately began shaking and fell into the pool. The victim's friend tried pulling her out, but was also shocked.

      Scheel was unresponsive when Rural Metro and Syracuse Fire arrived on the scene. She was pronounced dead at Upstate University Hospital.

      The victim's friend did not sustain serious injuries. Police continue to investigate.