63
      Sunday
      83 / 63
      Monday
      85 / 66
      Tuesday
      86 / 68

      14 people homeless, one man burned after fire breaks out in Fulton apartment building

      Emergency crews work at the fire scene Thursday morning.

      14 people are homeless and one man is being treated for burns and smoke inhalation after an early morning fire in a Fulton apartment building.

      Fire Officials say the fire at 63-65 West First Street was called in at 1:18 am Thursday. All available personnel from the Fulton Fire Department were sent to the fire. Fire companies from Volney, Granby Center, Oswego Town and Cody, as well as the Oswego County Fire Coordinator's Office helped fight the blaze.

      Officials say it took firefighters 2-3 hours to get the fire under control, due to the construction of the building and the location of the fire. All the residents of the building were evacuated, with one being taken to Upstate for treatment. One firefighter had minor injuries, according to fire officials.

      The Red Cross assisted all 14 people who were displaced by the fire, saying "The Red Cross provided assistance with food, clothing and gave out comfort kits to all of the families. Each family had a safe place to stay."

      The City of Fulton Cause and Origin Team is investigating the fire.