All charges dropped against Clyde man who held young vandals in closet
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:11:19 GMT —
All charges have been dropped against the Clyde man who corralled four boys in a closet when he found them vandalizing a relative's home.
53-year-old Jesse Daniels appeared in the Town of Galen court Wednesday afternoon, where a prosecutor asked a judge to drop criminal charges against him.
Wayne County District Attorney Richard Healy asked the judge in the town of Galen court to dismiss the four child endangerment counts against Daniels in the interest of justice. The judge granted the motion.
Earlier this month, police charged Daniels with four counts of endangering the welfare of a child for putting four boys, ages 8 and 10, in a closet after he found them vandalizing his father-in-law's home while he waited for police to arrive.
Daniels says he took hammers away from the boys and put the four children in a closet until police arrived. Looking back on the incident today, Daniels said he would not have done anything differently.
"I would not have changed anything, I felt that I did the correct thing," he says.
Daniels' attorney Stephen Sercu brought up New York State Penal Law, agreeing that Daniels did the right thing in that situation.
"There are rules in the Penal Law for the State of New York that allow homeowners, or people who are allowed to be on a premises to defend that property, but first and foremost you call the police, which is what Jesse did," Sercu says.
He says the damage was more than $40,000.
Defense lawyer Stephen Sercu says Daniels thanked the community for their support after the ruling
(Information from the Associated Press was used in this article)