Alleged prior victim claims David Renz molested her as a child
By Jim Kenyon
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:11:07 GMT — A woman claiming to be a prior victim of David Renz claims Renz sexually abused her when she was a child and he was a teenager.After the news that Renz had been charged with the murder of Lori Bresnahan and the rape of a 10-year-old girl, CNY Central was contacted by a young woman who claims that she had been sexually molested by Renz when she was a child. We're not releasing the identity of this alleged victim.The woman met with the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office Wednesday. The DAâ??s office is looking into her claims.The woman says her encounter with Renz occurred in 1999 when she was about 9-years-old and Renz would have been 15-years-old. His age would have made him a juvenile offender.This alleged prior victim told CNY Central's Jim Kenyon that Renz had her sit on his lap while he attempted to masturbate. She said they were both clothed at the time.She says the incident was investigated by the Abused Persons Unit of the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department as part of a case involving another teen assailant. She says the entire matter ended up in Onondaga County Family Court.She could not remember the name of the judge who handled the case, but she says Renz was ordered to undergo counseling at the Huntington Family Center as well as his church. The victim believes the Family Court records were sealed.Another individual familiar with the case, who asked not be identified, corroborated what the victims claims. Both described Renz's facial deformity and said he was highly intelligent.The District Attorney's office confirms the woman met with them. Chief Assistant District Attorney Rick Trunfio said, "of course we're interested in looking into it. We'll continue to work with her because it tells us more about our defendant."The D.A.'s office may have to overcome the fact that Family Court records are inaccessible, even to a prosecutor. It may have to go through a court proceeding to get the records unsealed.Were federal authorities aware of Renz's alleged prior sexual assault?During a detention hearing related to child pornography charges on January 11, at which Renz was released from jail and allowed to wear a tracking bracelet, Federal Magistrate Judge Andrew Baxter made reference to a prior run in with the law. The transcript of that hearing quotes Judge Baxter as saying, "So, Mr. Renz, notwithstanding the very serious nature of the charges you're facing and what we've learned of your juvenile record, the government is prepared to agree to your condition of release."Assistant U.S. Attorney John Duncan told Kenyon that his office would not know of sealed juvenile records. Duncan says the Federal Probation office does a report for the judge. "We're shown the report, but it goes right back to Probation," Duncan said. A spokesperson for Federal Magistrate Judge Andrew Baxter said he would have no comment.U.S. Chief Probation Officer Matthew Brown has not responded to our request for comment.
WSTM WSTQ WTVH provide up to the minute news, sports, weather and community notices to Syracuse and surrounding communities, including North Syracuse, East Syracuse, Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Jordan, Weedsport, Auburn, Melrose Park, Skaneateles, Marietta, Lafayette, Pompey, Fayetteville Sherrill and Utica, New York.