Anthony Weiner presses on despite growing calls to quit NYC mayor's race
Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:34:48 GMT —
Anthony Weiner is pressing ahead with his bid for mayor despite growing calls for him to drop out of the race over a new sexting scandal.
Weiner has been a favorite in the polls since he launched his political comeback attempt in late May. But he was greeted with boos as he took the stage at a public housing meeting Wednesday evening. By the end of his remarks, however, the crowd was cheering loudly.
Afterward, Weiner said he had expected that revelations would emerge by the end of the campaign, adding "some of them have." But he says his campaign is too important to abandon over "embarrassing personal things" becoming public.
The latest scandal erupted Tuesday after the gossip website The Dirty posted X-rated messages and a crotch shot it said Weiner exchanged with a woman last year while using the online alias "Carlos Danger."
The first poll since the latest scandal broke is scheduled to be released Thursday afternoon.
Weiner says he traded racy messages with as many as three women after resigning from Congress in 2011 for similar conduct.
The married Democrat also said Thursday that he's still "working with people" to get help dealing with his penchant for X-rated online flirting. But he disputes any suggestion that it's an addiction.
Weiner now says he had bawdy exchanges with six to 10 women while in office.
It got seamier Thursday, when the gossip site The Dirty posted a lewd photo of Weiner that he sent to a woman last year.
Weiner acknowledged earlier this week that his indiscretions continued after his resignation. He insists they have now stopped.