42 / 30
      49 / 41
      46 / 33

      Apartment fire sends residents out in cold

      The Red Cross is helping residents of an apartment complex on James Street, after a fire evacuated the building early Monday morning.

      The complex at 1033 James Street was evacuated after a fire in the boiler room, which cut off heat and electricity for the 62 occupied apartments.

      The Red Cross Disaster Team says that they are providing assistant to tenants as needed, and are prepared to open a temporary warming center for displaced residents. They will also provide cots and blankets to tenants that may be able to be temporarily moved to unoccupied apartments.

      National Grid is working to restore power to the complex.

      No one was injured in the fire, nor were any smoke or flames were visible from outside the building. A Centro bus was temporarily brought in to give residents forced from their apartments a warm place to wait while firefighters worked.

      James Street remained closed after the start of the fire, around 6:00 a.m., until nearly 10:00 a.m.