70
      Thursday
      85 / 62
      Friday
      83 / 62
      Saturday
      85 / 65

      Auburn duo was making meth when their apartment burned, not chicken wings as they told police

      A fire in Auburn that broke out in an apartment six months ago started because two people were making meth -- not cooking a batch of chicken wings as they originally told police.

      According to Auburn Police, firefighters responded to a fire last May at an apartment where a 42-year-old woman and a 44-year-old man suffered severe burns from what they claimed was a grease fire that started while they were cooking wings.

      Firefighters were suspicious and asked police to investigate. Police later found two 2-liter bottles in a wooded area near the complex with evidence of methamphetamine.

      The bottles were sent to a state lab where they tested positive for illegal substances. The two suspects were charged this week with manufacturing meth after being indicted by a Cayuga County Grand Jury.