56
      Friday
      77 / 59
      Saturday
      84 / 63
      Sunday
      82 / 63

      Bon Jovi speaks out after daughter??s overdose at Hamilton College

      For the first time since his daughter was arrested after allegedly overdosing at Hamilton College, rocker Bon Jovi is speaking out.

      In an interview with Fox 11 in Los Angeles , Bon Jovi said, "What I do for a living seems glitzy and glamorous but if you don't take it too seriously it's a great way to make a living," he said. "And then life goes on. Things happen." He added, "This tragedy was something that I had to face too so we'll get through it. And people's warm wishes for my family and I have been really reassuring. So, we're good"

      19-year-old Stephanie Bongiovi was found unconscious and unresponsive last week in Durham Dorm at Hamilton College.

      Police say they found a small amount of heroin and other drug-related items at the scene. Bongiovi was initially charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal possession of marijuana, and criminal use of drug paraphernalia. Another student, 21-year-old Ian Grant was also charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance. But charges against both students were later dropped due to the Good Samaritan law on the books in New York that prevents them from being prosecuted.

      According to the state law enacted in September 2011, "?|a person who, in good faith, seeks health care for someone who is experiencing a drug or alcohol overdose or other life threatening medical emergency cannot be prosecuted for the possession of heroin weighing less than 8 ounces or possession of any amount of marihuana (sic) resulting from the seeking of such health care."

      The Oneida County District Attorney says in Bongiovi's case, "?|the individual who has overdosed or who was experiencing such life threatening medical emergency cannot be prosecuted for the possession of heroin weighing less than 8 ounces or possession of any amount of marihuana resulting from the seeking of such health care."

      After her overdose, Bongiovi was taken to the hospital for treatment.