65 / 45
      67 / 48
      67 / 45

      Cause identified in deadly New Hartford fire

      New Hartford Police say a deadly fire that killed three people on Saturday morning was accidental, and was caused by an electrical appliance failure.

      The fire started just before 11 a.m. on Saturday morning at 11 Osborn Avenue.

      Within minutes of receiving the call, police and fire personnel were on the scene, and noted heavy flames and smoke.

      Firefighters immediately went into the home to put out the fire, but were forced to leave and attempt to contain it from the outside because of its intensity.

      Firefighters used chainsaws to access the rear bedroom and attempt to rescue two trapped children. Both children, 3-year-old Jordan Morinitti and 7-year-old Joshua Morinitti, were pronounced dead.

      Several outside fire companies responded to assist New Hartford. National Grid was called to turn off electrical and natural gas utilities, and the American Red Cross also responded.

      Heavy equipment was brought in to clear away portions of the collapsed building in an attempt to reach the cellar, where a third victim, 21-year-old Jennifer Moore, was located deceased.

      Five other people inside the home were treated and released at St. Elizabeth's Hospital.

      The fire was declared under control just before 3 p.m. on Saturday. An investigation remains ongoing, as officials conduct additional interviews and review the chain of events.

      The Onondaga County Medical Examiner's Office is conducting autopsies on all three victims.