Folks in New Haven say their town is the type of place where everybody knows each other.
That's why it came as no surprise to the Glenister and Wilcox families when hundreds of people poured into the New Haven Volunteer Fire Department Saturday afternoon to celebrate the life of 4-year-old Maggie Sue Glenister Wilcox, who died last weekend after contracting the EEE Virus.
"It's been unbelievable for our family to be able to see the respect and dignity and the camaraderie shown by the entire town," said Michael Wilcox, Maggie's uncle. "It's been absolutely amazing."
And while the benefit was planned to celebrate Maggie Sue's life, the family hopes it serves a greater purpose -- reminding everyone about the dangers of the EEE Virus. An informational table at the benefit had information on the virus along with bug repellant, hours before Oswego County's Health Department sprayed for mosquitoes for the first time this season.
"It's time for us all to learn and be aware of what's going on and how to protect our families," Wilcox said.
For more information on Eastern Equine Encephalitis, or EEE, click here.