Corning home explodes, blows out windows for blocks
Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:38:12 GMT —
An elderly man and his grandson are injured after an explosion and fire on the north side of Corning. It happened on Wilson Street, just after 11 a.m. .
The explosion heavily damaged a neighboring home, and blew out windows for blocks around. Neighbors blocks away had windows blown out.
Two men, one in his eighties, and the other -- his grandson -- in his thirties, were pulled from the rubble. Witnesses say they were burned and bleeding, but able to walk.
They were flown to Upstate Medical in Syracuse to be treated for their injuries.
The cause is believed to be natural gas-related, according to the Corning Leader Newspaper.
Corning is 76 miles south of Rochester.