Dog dies, 8 people evacuated from house fire on Syracuse's west side

Firefighters work at the scene on Willis Avenue Tuesday morning.

A dog has died and eight people were evacuated from their homes after a house fire on the west side of Syracuse Tuesday morning.

Onondaga County 911 reports a call came in just after 9:00 a.m. for a fire inside a two-family apartment building at 1117 Willis Avenue, near Gere Ave. and Milton Ave. Officials on the scene say eight people were able to get out safely, but a dog did not make it.

Investigators say the fire started on the first floor, and flammable shingles caused it to spread quickly to the second floor. Firefighters say there was a concern about the fire jumping to nearby buildings, but they were able to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes.

The Red Cross of Central New York says two apartment units in the house were destroyed. One family of two adults and one child, and the other family of two adults and three children have been left homeless.The dog was found in the back of the building.

The Red Cross says it is providing food, clothing, toys, and shelter for the families in both apartments.