East Syracuse woman accused of paying to have man killed

Marnie Nappi / photo: DeWitt Police

The suspect in a murder for hire plot wanted a husband out of her way so she could have a relationship with his wife. That's according to DeWitt Police Chief Eugene Conway.

Police say 39-year-old Marnie Nappi paid more than $20,000 to have David Gardner, of Minoa, killed.

"The suspect wanted the victim killed so that she could further her relationship with the victim's wife," Chief Conway said

Chief Conway says Nappi told them she was very fond of Gardner's wife and that the two had a relationship. He did not specify to what extent. According to Conway, someone called the 911 center around 3:00 a.m. Wednesday, letting authorities know they had a conversation with Nappi and she told them what she wanted to do. That's when the investigation began.

"Our first priority is to make sure the information is valid but more importantly protect the victim, or the intended target, so that sort of kicked this investigation into high gear," said DeWitt Police Sgt. Scott Kapral. Investigators say Gardner was shocked to hear he was the target of a murder plot.

Conway says Nappi reached out to a co-worker at the Original Italian Pizza and admitted to police there was a total of three people she gave money to.

"She had access to money to be able to pay somebody," Chief Conway said. "The suspect eventually admitted to spending more than $20,000 to accomplish this. She was giving people money saying she wanted them to kill the victim and she continued to give them money," Conway said.

Police then had her speak with undercover officer, and that's when they say arrangements were made for her to give the officer money to carry out a murder. The murder was never carried out.

The investigation is still ongoing. "We are looking for other people she may have solicited,' said DeWitt Police Investigator Thomas Regan.

"We'd like to speak with anybody who had any involvement with her at all."

Nappi has been charged with Conspiracy to Commit Murder. She was arraigned Thursday and is being held without bail. She is scheduled to be back in court Wednesday morning for a preliminary hearing.