47 / 36
      54 / 44
      58 / 33

      Family of five homeless after Cayuga County house fire

      The aftermath of the fire on Wednesday afternoon.

      A Cayuga County family of five is homeless and a father has been injured after a fire destroyed their house late Wednesday morning.

      Cayuga County 911 reports around 11:47 a.m. a call came in for a house fire at 1101 Finches Corners Road in Martville. That is between Thompson Road and Humphrey Road, near Route 38. 911 dispatch says several fire departments were called to fight the fire, including Sterling, Fair Haven, Cato, and Oswego.

      Witnesses on the scene tell CNY Central that the fire started in a corner of the house, where a wood stove was located. The fire spread quickly throughout the house, and briefly trapped two of the residents before they were able to escape through a back door. Three people were inside at the time, a man, a woman, and a child under the age of five. All three reportedly escaped before the father, Gerald Holbrook III, went back inside to try to put out the fire. He suffered burns to his hands, face, and chest and was taken via ambulance to Upstate University Hospital's burn unit for treatment.

      Firefighters were able to put the fire out approximately an hour after they arrived. Two other teenage children were in school at the time of the fire.

      Witnesses say the house was destroyed, and the family lost most of their possessions. If you would like to help the family, you can call Connie Scott at 315-224-5802.