67
      Friday
      83 / 62
      Saturday
      85 / 65
      Sunday
      86 / 65

      Faulty Christmas lights blamed for fire that left 8 homeless

      Update: fire investigators say faulty Christmas lights in a second floor bedroom started the fire that heavily damaged a south side home.

      The fire was reported just after 4am Saturday morning on the 200 block of McLennan Avenue.

      Firefighters responded after they received reports of flames on the second story of the home.

      The family was home when the fire started, but all escaped unharmed.

      The house sustained massive damage.

      The American Red Cross Disaster Action team provided relief on the scene, giving stuffed animals to the kids to help keep them calm while fire fighters put out the blaze.

      The Red Cross provided lodging, food and clothing to the family.