68
      Wednesday
      84 / 63
      Thursday
      74 / 53
      Friday
      73 / 53

      FDA warns against powdered caffeine


      The Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers to avoid pure powdered caffeine sold on the Internet after the death of an Ohio teen.


      Even a teaspoon of the powder could be lethal - it is equivalent to 25 cups of coffee. Eighteen-year-old Logan Stiner of LaGrange, Ohio, died May 27 after consuming it.


      The FDA said teenagers and young adults may be particularly drawn to the caffeine powder, which is a stimulant.


      The agency said the products are 100 percent caffeine and may carry minimal or insufficient labeling. Consumers may not be aware that even a small amount can cause an overdose.


      Symptoms of caffeine overdose or toxicity include rapid or erratic heartbeat, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea and disorientation.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER