64 / 50
      63 / 44
      57 / 41

      Fire burns through historic family-owned furniture store in Binghamton

      Fire investigators are still trying to figure out what started the fire that burned through four floors of a historic family-owned furniture store in Binghamton Wednesday morning.

      Plumes of smoke, and heavy flames could be seen from Route 17 overlooking the city, as the 114-year-old business burned downtown.

      The call to Ellis Brothers Furniture Store on Water Street came in just after 7:30 a.m. - right before shift change for local firefighters.

      The roof collapsed, forcing firefighters to tackle flames from the outside.

      Nearby businesses were evacuated, and surrounding streets were closed off.

      Even Binghamton High School, and Social Services, located just around the corner, were dismissed early because of air quality concerns.

      Right now, investigators think the fire started on the showroom on the first floor of the 138-year-old building.

      Binghamton Fire Chief Daniel Thomas told our affiliate, WBNG-TV in Binghamton, that temperatures inside reached an estimated 1,500 to 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit.

      Though firefighters were initially told to evacuate the building, there was no concern it would collapse.

      However, it may need to be taken down because of extensive damage.

      Foul play is not suspected at this time.