Fire crews make quick work of fire that started in vent at University Hospital

Black mark on the side of University Hospital after fire in vent.

Fire crews were called to University Hospital this morning after a fire was reported on the outside of the building.

A construction worker on the scene tells CNY Central that the fire started after a spark from a welder caught some insulation on fire.

The worker says the flames were about ten feet high, and came out of a vent, causing a sooty, black streak on the outside of the building. Construction workers were briefly evacuated.

The fire department made quick work of the flames.

Crews are now working to wash the mark off the building.

Traffic was backed up most of the morning around the hospital as fire investigators worked.