46 / 40
      50 / 35
      43 / 34

      Fire destroys old Sullivan home: Investigators zero in on self-cleaning oven

      Fire destroys home, Canaseraga Road and Route 5, Sullivan, Madison Co. / Courtesy: Craig McDowell

      Investigators say a self-cleaning oven is likely to blame for a major fire in the Town of Sullivan that destroyed a family's home overnight.

      The flames sparked up around 1:00 a.m. at the two-story single family home at the corner of Canaseraga Road and Route 5.

      Madison County Emergency Management officials tell CNY Central about 75 firefighters from 12 different fire companies worked to put out the flames. We're told it was a tough fire to battle due to the construction of the old colonial house.

      "This building, because of its age, it's well over 100-years-old, there's a lot of white spaces within the walls and ceilings and the roof, and it makes it very difficult to extinguish a fire," said Chittenango Fire Chief Mike Sudol.

      Fire crews eventually got the situation under control, but the flames rekindled this morning. They were eventually put out.

      Three people were home at the time of the fire. Two of them were hospitalized for smoke inhalation. The family's dog died in the fire.

      A fund has been set up to assist the victims of the fire. You can send donations to:

      Oneida Savings Bank c/o Michelle Seef 519 Genesee Street Chittenango, NY 13037 ATTN: Tara Boronczyk