64 / 44
      56 / 40
      65 / 49

      Fireplace malfunction causes Sunday house fire in Auburn

      Two story home at 100 Lansing St. in Auburn caught fire Sunday night.

      The Auburn Assistant Fire Chief Ed Sherman says the investigation into a weekend house fire is complete.

      Sherman says the cause of Sunday's fire was due to a malfunction or failure in the fireplace. That malfunction caused the walls to overheat and then start burning.

      The fire started around 5:30 p.m. Sunday evening on Lansing Street in Auburn. Two people were inside at the time, but both made it out safely. No one else was injured.