Five men charged in home invasion that led to standoff with Syracuse Police

Five men are facing charges in connection with a home invasion that lead to a standoff with police.

It happened Sunday at 11:45 p.m. at 143 West Matson Avenue in Syracuse.

Michael Sherriod, 28, Sammy Davis, Jr., 24, Cedric Judge, 19, Timothy Boyd, 40, and Nakiiso Tas, 20, all of Syracuse, are charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree robbery, and second-degree kidnapping.

All five will be arraigned Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. in Syracuse City Court.

Here's what happened, according to the Syracuse Police:

The five suspects planned to rob 143 West Matson Avenue on Sunday night. When a 29-year-old female resident arrived home, she was greeted by one of the suspects who was wearing a mask.

The woman got into her car but didn't lock the door. A suspect then opened the door and demanded money and her keys and placed a gun to her head. The woman was then lead back to the house.

A neighbor saw what was going on and called 911.

When the woman was back in the house, the suspects continued to demand money and then robbed the woman of jewelry. When the woman began to cry, one of the suspects put a gun in her mouth and told her to stop crying.

The woman was then lead upstairs by two suspects and put into a bathroom closet. The woman was able to make it out of the closet and ran out of the house as police arrived on the scene.

Officers noticed several suspects with masks on trying to leave the home, but they ran back inside when they saw police. Officers then set up around the house with a SWAT team to prevent the suspects from escaping.

One suspect was found by officers waiting in a getaway car near the scene and taken into custody very early in the standoff.

Hostage Negotiations Teams tried to speak with the suspects throughout the night but the suspects refused to leave the home. Syracuse Police Sgt. Tom Connellan said two of the suspects tried to convince hostage negotiators that they were victims.

"They told us they were brought to that house at gunpoint and that they were tied up in the basement of the house. It was apparent to us very early on that was probably a ruse," said Connellan. "Based on what we were getting from the woman, it was pretty apparent that what they were telling us just wasn't true, and their story just didn't add up."

Police fired tear gas into the house after it was determined that no hostages remained inside. Eventually, the remaining four suspects came out of the home over a two hour period.

The five suspects were in custody by 7:30 a.m. and the house was searched by the SWAT team.

The Syracuse Police Crime Scene Unit is continuing to conduct a search of the home to locate evidence.