When flood warnings are issued, then the threat for imminent danger is upon your area. Stay tuned for updates on this potential through the weekend.If your area has a flood watch, here is what you should do:-- Go about your normal activities, but be aware of the possibility of flooding developing if and/when heavy rain occurs.-- Keep an eye on Interactive Doppler and Triple Doppler radars on CNYcentral.com.-- Keep your phone with your CNYcentral mobile app turned on so if warnings are issued you will know.-- Periodically check NBC-3, CBS-5 and CW-6 for updates on the weather and possible warnings.-- Know which county you live in, and where you are in relation to streams, creeks or rivers, which can become killers in heavy rains.-- If you live or work in an area which is prone to flooding, have a safe evacuation route to use if flooding occurs.-- Have a battery operated radio, and several flashlights available and in working order.A wind advisory is in effect for Jefferson & Ontario counties from midnight Thursday night until 9am Friday.
A wind advisory means that sustained winds of 30 mph and/or wind gusts of 45-50 mph are expected. This could cause some minor damage to trees, power lines and very weak structures.
If your area has a wind advisory, here is what you should do :-- Secure loose objects outside.-- Keep a firm grip on the wheel of your vehicle, especially high profile vehicles.
Stay updated with this situation with these links :-- Interactive Doppler Radar:-- Triple Doppler Radar: -- Lightning Strikes-- Watches/Warnings: (Make sure to hit the 'F5' key to refresh the page.)-- Follow CNY Central Meteorologists on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CNYcentral/cnycentralweather If you see severe weather, damaging winds, hail, or flooding, please let us know on Facebook or by e-mail at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is information from the National Weather Service:
WAYNE-NORTHERN CAYUGA-OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-ONTARIO-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWARK...FAIR HAVEN...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE...CANANDAIGUA317 PM EST THU FEB 20 2014
...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM EST FRIDAY THROUGHLATE FRIDAY NIGHT...
THE FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR
* PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND WESTERN NEW YORK...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...IN CENTRAL NEW YORK...JEFFERSON...LEWIS... NORTHERN CAYUGA AND OSWEGO. IN WESTERN NEW YORK...ONTARIO AND WAYNE.
* FROM 1 AM EST FRIDAY THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT.
* RAIN ALONG WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW MELT FROM NOTABLY WARMER CONDITIONS WILL BRING THE RISK FOR ICE JAM FLOODING. THERE WILL BE A GREATER POTENTIAL FOR BREAK UP AND DOWNSTREAM MOVEMENT OF THICK ICE ON CREEKS AND STREAMS THAT WOULD INCREASE THE RISK FOR ICE JAMS TO DEVELOP AND INCREASE THE FLOODING POTENTIAL.
* RUNOFF FROM RAIN AND MELTING SNOW ATOP THE FROZEN GROUND MAY LEAD TO A HEIGHTENED POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING OF STREETS...LOW LYING AREAS...AREAS OF POOR DRAINAGE...BASEMENTS AND SMALL STREAMS AND CREEKS. SIGNIFICANT RISES ALONG MAJOR STEM RIVERS COULD FOLLOW.JEFFERSON-INCLUDING THE CITY OF...WATERTOWN400 PM EST THU FEB 20 2014
...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AMEST FRIDAY...
* LOCATIONS...JEFFERSON COUNTY.
* TIMING...MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH LATE FRIDAY MORNING.
* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.
* IMPACTS...THESE WINDS MAY RESULT IN DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. SOME SMALL TREE LIMBS MAY BE BROKEN...AND UNSECURED OUTDOOR OBJECTS...SUCH AS TRASH CANS...MAY BE BLOWN ONTO STREETS.