Governor Cuomo says Federal public assistance has been extended for flood impacted counties

On Wednesday, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that FEMA approved New Yorkâ??s request for an extension for ongoing Public Assistance outreach in counties affected by the late June/early July flooding this summer, extending aid to September 10.

Back in July, the Governor sent a letter to President Obama requesting federal Public Assistance aid for flood affected counties.

After the damages had been estimated by FEMA, State and local emergency management workers, Governor Cuomo gave the President information that showed that the damage to public infrastructure was over $32.7 million, well above the Stateâ??s $26.7 million per capita threshold.

According to the Governor, FEMA initially granted the his request for Public Assistance eligibility for Allegany, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Franklin, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Otsego, and Warren counties on July 12 and later added Broome, Chautauqua, Clinton and Essex counties on July 26.

Public Assistance is for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities.

FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer and Disaster Recovery Manager Regis Phelan said that the approval was provided â??To ensure the State has the opportunity to contact potential applicants and give them the chance to apply for assistance in their recovery from the storm damages caused by the event.â??

The Governorâ??s office says that private nonprofit agencies providing what are defined as critical services to the community may also request reimbursement of money lost for emergency work performed as a result of the storms.

Facilities that provide critical services include:

-Hospitals and other medical-treatment facilities

-Fire, police and other emergency services

-Power, water and sewer utilities

-Educational institutions

Private nonprofits that provide what are defined as essential, governmental-type services to the community may also be eligible for Public Assistance to pay for emergency work. These private nonprofits need to first apply for a loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration. The Request for Public Assistance can be submitted before or also while applying to Small Business Assistance at

If the loan is denied, the private nonprofit may request Public Assistance from FEMA if a request is on file with the state.

Facilities that provide essential services include:

-Libraries, museums and zoos

-Community centers

-Disability advocacy and service providers

-Homeless shelters and rehabilitation facilities

-Senior citizen centers and day-care centers

For more information on eligibility and forms, visit