Halloween candy can be dangerous for dogs
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:14:28 GMT — Halloween is scary enough, but for your pets all that candy can be downright dangerous.Dr. Jennifer Goetz of the Manlius Veterinary Hospital says chocolate poses the biggest problem for dogs."Chocolate is very toxic to dogs and generally the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is," she says.The number of reported dog poisonings from chocolate more than doubled last year nationwide.To help your four legged friend stay safe this Halloween, Dr. Goetz suggests keeping the candy as far away as possible."Put the candy away. It actually should go up and beyond the cupboard door because a lot of dogs will actually counter surf and get up on the counter and hunt it down because it smells so good," she says.Candy wrappers, sugar free sweets and raisins can also pose dangers for pets and should be kept away. Click here for more information on how to keep your pet safe this Halloween.