An upstate courthouse has been renamed in honor of the New York governor credited with helping abolish slavery in the state in the early 19th century.
The Tompkins County Legislature this week approved the immediate renaming of the historic Old Tompkins County Courthouse in Ithaca as the Governor Daniel D. Tompkins Building.
Tompkins served as New York state's fourth governor from 1807 until 1817, when he left Albany to become vice president under President James Monroe. That same year, Tompkins County was formed by the state Legislature and named in honor of the Westchester-born Tompkins.
While governor, he signed into law the legislation that would eventually ban slavery in New York in 1827.
Tompkins served as vice president until 1825, when he died on Staten Island at age 50 just three months after leaving office.