Ithaca Firefighters battle house fire, save man on gorge trail
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 04:35:35 GMT —
Ithaca Firefighters had a busy day Sunday battling a house fire and rescuing an injured man on a gorge trail.
The fire happened at 107 Brandon Place in the City of Ithaca around 5:30 pm Sunday in the basement.
Engine 9 from the East Hill Fire Station arrived to find smoke coming from the basement of the two story home. The house had been evacuated and the homeowner had tried to put the fire out, but was pushed back from the smoke.
Firefighters went inside the home and put the rest of the fire out.
The fire was contained to the basement where there was major damage to the kitchen area and some minor damage to the first floor. The people who lived in the home got out without injury. One firefighter suffered a twisted ankle.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended pot on the stove.
The Fire Department reminds everyone to "have a working smoke detector on every level of their home and if you do have a fire, get everyone out and close the doors."
While crews battled the fire, other firefighters were called to the gorge trail, near Giles Street in Ithaca for a man who had gotten hurt after a fall.
Rescuers from the Ithaca Fire Department and Bangs Ambulance reached the man, loaded him onto an ATV and brought him to an ambulance waiting nearby.