A Lake Effect Snow Warning is in effect for Jefferson, Lewis and Oswego counties 4am Monday through 7am Wednesday.
A lake effect snow warning means that significant snow is likely in localized areas within the warned area. A large difference in snowfall is likely even within the warned area.
A Lake Effect Snow Watch is in effect for Onondaga, Madison and Oneida counties Monday afternoon through Tuesday morning.
A Lake Effect Snow Watch means there is a potential for a large amount of snow in only a few hours. Visibilities and depth of snow can vary greatly, impacting travel significantly.
If your area has a lake effect warning, here is what you should do: -- In lake effect snow squalls, the weather can vary from locally heavy snow in narrow bands to clear skies just a few miles away.-- If you will be traveling across the region be prepared for rapid changes in road and visibility conditions.-- Know which county you live in, and where you are in relation to these heavy snow squalls.-- If you need to travel, be prepared for very difficult driving conditions inside the bands of heavier snow and where the snow squalls have already been.-- Have a winter storm kit ready in your car in case you are stranded.-- Keep an eye on Interactive Doppler and Triple Doppler radars on CNYcentral.com.-- Keep your phone with your CNYcentral mobile app turned on so if warnings are issued you will know.-- Periodically check NBC-3, CBS-5 and CW-6 for updates on the weather and possible issuance of lake effect snow warnings and advisories.-- Know which county you live in, and where you are in relation to these heavy snow squalls.-- If you need to travel, be prepared for very difficult driving conditions inside the bands of heavier snow and where the snow squalls have already been.-- Have a winter storm kit ready in your car in case you are stranded.Stay updated with this situation with these links: -- Interactive Doppler Radar -- Triple Doppler Radar -- Lightning Strikes-- Watches/Warnings: (Make sure to hit the 'F5' key to refresh the page.) -- Follow CNY Central Meteorologists on Twitter : http://twitter.com/CNYcentral/cnycentralweather If you see a large amount of snow or really cold temperatures are felt, please let us know on Facebook or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Here is detailed information on this warning from the National Weather Service:
OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE356 PM EST SUN JAN 26 2014
...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM MONDAY TO 7 AMEST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 11 AM EST TUESDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECTSNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM MONDAY TO 7 AM ESTWEDNESDAY. A WIND CHILL ADVISORY HAS ALSO BEEN ISSUED. THIS WINDCHILL ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 11 AM EST TUESDAY. THELAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* LOCATIONS...THE NORTH COUNTRY.
* TIMING...FOR LAKE EFFECT SNOWS...EARLY MONDAY MORNING THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING. FOR WIND CHILLS...LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.
* ACCUMULATIONS...AN INCH OR LESS OVERNIGHT...4 TO 7 INCHES MONDAY...6 TO 12 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT...4 TO 7 INCHES TUESDAY... 2 TO 4 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT...AND AN INCH OR LESS WEDNESDAY... LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 10 TO 19 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.
* WINDS...WEST 20 TO 30 MPH.
* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.
* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 20 BELOW MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY.
* IMPACTS...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL RESULT IN SNOW COVERED ROADS ALONG WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND LOCALIZED WHITEOUT CONDITIONS THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY DIFFICULT TO NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES. VERY COLD WIND CHILLS WILL RESULT IN A RISK OF HYPOTHERMIA AND FROSTBITE FOR ANYONE OUTSIDE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME WITHOUT PROPER CLOTHING.
NORTHERN ONEIDA-ONONDAGA-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF.BOONVILLE.SYRACUSE.ONEIDA.UTICA.ROME400 PM EST SUN JAN 26 2014
.LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM MON AFTERNOON THROUGH TUES MORNING.
* LOCATIONS.ONEIDA.ONONDAGA.& MADISON COUNTIES.
* HAZARDS.LAKE EFFECT SNOW & BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS.
* ACCUMULATIONS.POTENTIAL FOR 7 INCHES OR MORE OF NEW LAKE EFFECT SNOW MON AFTERNOON THROUGH TUES AFTERNOON.BUT THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY ON EXACT PLACEMENT & AMOUNTS. HEAVIEST SNOW WILL BE NO. OF THE NY THRUWAY.
* TIMING.LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL DEVELOP MON AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO TUES MORNING.MAINLY ALONG TO ESPECIALLY NO. OF THE NY THRUWAY.
* TEMPS.FALLING THROUGH THE TEENS MON AFTERNOON TO SINGLE DIGITS BY TUES MORNING.
* WIND CHILLS.REACHING 10 TO 20 BELOW LATE MON NIGHT INTO TUES MORNING.
* WINDS.WEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.
* IMPACTS.WITHIN THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND.HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED.INCLUDING SUDDEN LOW VISIBILITY AND SLIPPERY ROADS. THE WIND WILL ALSO CAUSE BLOWING & DRIFTING OF SNOW.