80
      Sunday
      83 / 63
      Monday
      85 / 66
      Tuesday
      86 / 68

      Man rescues neighbors' dog from fire in Lafayette

      A family of four is homeless after a fire destroys their home, but their dog is safe thanks to their neighbor.

      Around 10 p.m. Thursday, Robert Griffin, 52, saw smoke coming from his neighbors' home on Coye Road, and ran over to warn them to get out.

      He saw fire coming from under the trailer, banging on the windows to get their attention.

      When he didn't get a response, Griffin broke a window and used a ladder to climb inside.

      Griffin told investigators he crawled on the floor, through heavy smoke, making sure no one was inside.

      That's when he found their German Shepherd, bringing it to safety.

      Fortunately no one was injured in the incident. The family -- two adults and two teenagers -- were not home at the time of the fire.

      They stayed with a neighbor Thursday night. The Red Cross is helping them now.

      Onondaga County Fire Investigators say there is no sign of arson or criminal activity at this time.

      They think the fire was electrical, starting from underneath the trailer.

      State Police are also helping in the investigation.

      ??