Neighbors awaiting updates on family members injured in Fitch Street fire
SYRACUSE, N.Y. —
The conditions of the three family members who remain at Upstate University Hospital Thursday night is still unknown.
Neighbors said the family was well-known in the neighborhood and friendly.
An early morning fire breaks out on the near Westside in Syracuse with 5 people inside the Fitch Street home.
"You could smell the smoke. You could see the black smoke billowing out." Steve Morris said.
"I seen the glow in my bedroom window. I opened up my window and I seen sparks," Judy Bennett said
Judy Bennett has been living next door for nine years.
She called 9-11 and rushed outside.
She said by that time flames had already engulfed the entire first floor of the home.
Firefighters said that made it impossible to go in on the first floor.
"Our crews made entrees through second-floor windows, through ladders due to the heavy fire on the first floor. We were able to find four victims," Chief Michael Monds said.
Neighbors said inside a mother, her daughter, her teenage son and her infant grandson who turned one today.
All of them rescued from the burning home and rushed to the hospital neighbors said they were unconscious.
"It's devastating right now," Bennett said
"You can't imagine what it feels like to watch people that you know and love for years be dragged out of windows because they have no life to them. You don't know what that feels like," Maryellen Perry said.
Many neighbors on Fitch Street anxiously are waiting for any update about their friends coming from the hospital.
"Anybody and everybody that could possibly send prayers. Right now, they are very needed," Perry said.
We know a firefighter who responded to the fire was injured this morning after falling through a stairwell.
He was also taken to Upstate to be treated and is expected to be OK.