Neighbors react to fire, fundraising to help
Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:48:16 GMT —
Friday night, people on Bayberry Circle jumped into action to help save the Poon Family as their home burned. Saturday, neighbors jumped into action to help the fmaily get through the next few days and weeks.
Lateef Haskins almost went to bed for the night, when he heard cries for help. He ran across the street to see smoke and fire. He also saw 16 year old Matthew Poon at an upstairs window yelling for help.
Haskins said, "He was just telling me it's hot, help me get down. I told him to jump and he wouldn't so I tried to hit it with the hose. It didn't work so I sprinted across the street and grabbed my ladder."
Sheriffs deputies arrived next and started helping the family down the ladder as the fire quickly spread.
Haskins said, "We got everybody back here and got the ladder out of the way. After that, the lines started faling down and poping."
The Poon family's belongings now sit in charred piles on the front lawn. Neighbors in the area are mobilizing and trying to raise some money for the Poon family to help them recover from this devastating fire. Neighbor Mary Fullam said, "They're homeless and we just want to help out as a neighborhood which I know she would probably do for us."
If you want to help the Poon family recover, call Mary Fullam at 652-2134 or Kathy Malay at 652-7503. They are hoping for cash or checks made out to Catherine Poon.
Seeing the destruction fire caused to a Bayberry Circle home, neighbors felt shaken up but are mobilizing to help at the same time.
The Poon family's belongings are in charred piles on their front lawn. Most of the family is now staying in a hotel.
Saturday neighbors are starting to fundraise to help the family get through the next few days and weeks.
If you want to help, call Mary Fullam at 652-2134 or Kathy Malay at 652-7503. They are hoping for cash or checks made out to Catherine Poon.