56 / 40
      67 / 49
      73 / 54

      Neighbors React to Tragic Death of Paige Scheel

      Paige Scheel

      At 7:15 Friday evening, police say Paige Scheel was electrocuted to death at 103 Second North Street in the city of Syracuse. Police say she was electrocuted while filling an inflatable pool and then picking up either an extension cord or electric pump which was plugged. She was pronounced dead at Upstate University Hospital.

      N eighbors say Paige Scheel, 12 was taken too soon. Paige's friend Austin Davis was playing with Paige Friday afternoon in her backyard. He left just minutes before the accident occurred.

      "It was scary, it wasn't pleasant. I was worried I was mad, because I could have stayed here. If I would have heard her, I would have tried saving her," says Davis. "I mean the whole family's upset I haven't even seen her mother since... I don't know if she's home, usually she's up on that porch but she's not."

      Police are now investigating Paige's death, but that still does not bring comfort to those who knew Paige as a kind, gentle and nice girl.

      Laura Briggs just moved out of an apartment in Paige's building. "I thought the little girl was ok until later on in the news I seen that she did pass away and oh my God, it's terrible. All the kids were out there and everything, it's very sad," says Briggs. "She played with all the other kids I mean she blended in right with them, so obviously she was a good girl cuz you would see her with all the other kids."

      As a parent Laura is now putting herself in the shoes of Paige's parents. "I don't think someone could recover from that, like it's wow. She's just a baby. She had a whole life ahead of her and now, oh my God." "We used to live there, I picture my kids going back there. It's crazy I can't imagine how she feels."

      Yesterday, one of Paige's friends was also shocked while trying to pull Paige from the pool. In light of this accident, fire officials are warning people about the dangers of water and electricity.

      Syracuse fIre Captain David Munski says you should never touch a live wire or go near water which could be electrically charged, trying to help someone who is being electrocuted could mean getting a shock yourself, causing even more damage.

      "Just assume everything is live, if they're in shock and you see a wire nearby in a pool -- as hard as it may be you should probably wait or unplug that wire to see where the power is coming from," says Munski.

      He also says to leave electronic equipment indoors if you're outside swimming and always call 911 in case of an emergency.