NYS to invest $6.5 million to expand mental health services for children
Governor Cuomo announced Tuesday that $6.5 million has been awarded to pediatric and family medical practices across New York State, including more than $700, 000 for for two facilities in Central New York.
Upstate Pediatrics and Adolescent Center and St. Joseph’s Primary Care Center, both located in Syracuse, will each receive $354,540 for mental health services.
The funding will allow 17 health centers to implement the HealthySteps program.
The program works to integrate a child and family development professional into pediatric and family medicine offices to help identify, monitor, and address emerging behavioral or developmental health concerns in young children.
The state says the money will help support the implementation, evaluation and sustainability of the program.
The health practices range from federally qualified health centers and hospital-based clinics, to community health centers and private practices that serve high-need communities in both rural and urban areas.
At full implementation, it is estimated that each of these practices will deliver HealthySteps services to 350 children and their families, engaging approximately 5,950 families over three years.
The awarded health practices are broken down by region below:
• Ellis Hospital Pediatric Care Practice in Schenectady – $354,540
Central New York
• Upstate Pediatrics and Adolescent Center in Syracuse – $354,540
• St. Joseph’s Primary Care Center West Syracuse – $354,540
• Unity Pediatrics, Rochester Regional Health in Rochester – $341,073
• Nassau University Medical Center Pediatrics in East Meadow – $368,706
• HRHCare Peekskill in Peekskill – $296,145
• Open Door Family Medical Centers Ossining in Ossining – $354,540
• Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown – $352,066
New York City
• Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, Department of Pediatrics in the Bronx – $369,575
• Brookdale Family Center New Lots in Brooklyn – $369,618
• NYC Health & Hospitals Coney Island, Division of Ambulatory Pediatrics in Brooklyn – $369,541
• NYU Lutheran Family Health Centers, Sunset Park for Women’s Health and Pediatrics in Brooklyn – $369,618
• Wyckoff Pediatric Care Center in Brooklyn – $369,618
• NYC Health & Hospitals Gouverneur in New York City – $369,618
• Helmsley Tower 5 Pediatric Primary Care in New York City – $369,618
• Plattsburgh Primary Care Pediatrics in Plattsburgh – $354,540
Western New York
• Main Pediatrics, Integrity Health Group in Buffalo – $354,540