71
      Friday
      78 / 59
      Saturday
      83 / 63
      Sunday
      82 / 63

      Officials: Sickness from Solsville Hotel's Easter Buffet was norovirus outbreak

      The Madison County Health Department announced today that the gastrointestinal outbreak associated with the Easter Buffet at the Hotel Solsville was caused by norovirus, not the food.

      ??Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause gastroenteritis which is inflammation of the stomach and intestines. This is commonly referred to as the ??stomach bug?? or ??stomach flu?? in people,?? explained Cheryl Geiler, Madison County Health Department??s Director of Community Health. ??Norovirus illness is not related to the flu, which is a respiratory illness caused by influenza virus.??

      The Hotel Solsville voluntarily closed down for 24 hours so they could intensively clean and sanitize the food service area.

      ??The Hotel Solsville has been responsive to our recommended measures to ensure the safety of its food and food service operations,?? said Eric Faisst. ??The Health Department will continue its heightened surveillance of both the establishment and in the community to ensure the end to this outbreak.??

      So far, the Health Department has received over 60 reports of sick people associated with the Solsville Hotel??s Easter Buffet.

      For more information on norovirus, click here.