80
      Sunday
      83 / 63
      Monday
      85 / 66
      Tuesday
      86 / 68

      One dead after Baldwinsville apartment fire

      Conifer Village Apartments in Baldwinsville

      A Baldwinsville man died after a fire at the Conifer Village Apartments at 208 Conifer Drive a little after 2 a.m. Thursday morning.

      Baldwinsville Fire Chief Michael Lefancheck says 54-year-old Larry Gillette died after the fire.

      Gillette indicated to 911 that he was having trouble breathing, then a call-taker at 911 determined there was a fire in his apartment.

      Responding police entered Gillette apartment but were unable to reach Gillette due to the severity of the flames and smoke. They tried to enter through the rear upstairs window but were unable to do so. Police were able to remove all 11 residents from the adjacent apartments in the 200 building.

      When firefighters arrived, they were able to remove Gillette from the fire in his apartment.

      Gillette was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

      An investigation revealed that Gillette had recently applied linseed oil on the stairs of his apartment and rags to apply to oil were not disposed of properly. Police say they were placed in a closet where they spontaneously ignited and started the fire.

      The Red Cross is assisting 13 people, and 3 pets, who were displaced.

      The Red Cross says Gillette had a dog, which was taken to the Beaver Lake Animal Hospital in Baldwinsville.

      (Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.)