85
      Friday
      84 / 62
      Saturday
      85 / 65
      Sunday
      86 / 65

      Oswego fire kills cat and dog, leaves 3 people homeless

      A fire in an upstairs apartment in Oswego left three people homeless, and killed a cat and dog, a fire department spokesman said.

      At 10:51 p.m., the Oswego City Fire Department was called to the fire at 287 Cherry St.

      Everyone got out of the two-family home safely before firefighters arrived. The pets belonged to tenants in the upper floor.

      The fire took about 30 minutes to bring under control, and caused heavy fire, smoke and water damage throughout the building.

      Fire investigators and members of the Oswego Police Department said the fire was accidental. They said it was caused by "unattended cooking."

      The Red Cross was on hand to help the people who were displaced by the fire.