Plans for new SU stadium on hold after task force meeting
Thu, 01 May 2014 18:20:05 GMT —
Plans for a new stadium for Syracuse University could be on hold for some time.
The task force appointed by Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner to study redevelopment options at the former Kennedy Square site, including a proposed stadium to replace the Carrier Dome, met for the second time Thursday morning. Mayor Miner set up the task force back in January after putting the brakes on a project that had been in the works between the state and Onondaga County.
The task force is studying the impact any proposed new stadium would have on nearby neighborhoods, municipal infrastructure, and economic development. The mayorâ??s questions about the proposal caused Governor Andrew Cuomo and Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney to back away from plans to seek a reported $250 million dollars in state and county financing for the project.
The mayor's task force, chaired by Ben Walsh, Deputy City Commissioner of Neighborhood and Business Development, held its second meeting Thursday.
Sports stadium expert Irwin Raij, who has been hired by SU to study the feasibility of a new stadium, told the task force that the university has not yet decided whether they will replace the Carrier Dome with a new stadium.
"The Dome is a great facility. This is not what we would call a mandatory option. This is what we are looking to the future and what opportunities might exist," Raji says.
The governor's office, Onondaga County and SU all declined to appoint representatives to the mayor's stadium task force. Walsh says at this point the task force has not set a date for any future meetings.