Police identify victims of Pulaski double murder

James Steen Jr.

The Oswego County Sheriff TMs Office has released the names of the two victims of a fatal hostage situation/double murder in Pulaski Sunday afternoon.

According to Sheriff Reuel Todd, the victims are tentatively identified as 29-year-old Victoria L. Steen and 21-year-old Charles Carr, Jr. Todd says both victims died of gunshot wounds.

The alleged shooter, 39-year-old James H. Steen Jr., was the estranged husband to Victoria Steen. Todd says James Steen is currently being held in the Oswego County Correctional Facility without bail pending a hearing and/or presentation to a Grand Jury.

Todd says the investigation into the murders is continuing.

Original Story:

Two people are dead in Pulaski, after a long standoff. After anxiously awaiting news for hours, family and friends broke out in screams and cries as police told them the outcome.

"We're looking at a double homicide," said Oswego County Sheriff Reuel Todd.

Police responded to 9 Lewis Street in the village about noon Sunday, after a report of shots fired. When officers arrived on the scene, there was a child waiting outside an apartment building. Authorities say a man was holding two people hostage inside. After hours of negotiations and the suspect's lawyer being called in, he finally surrendered himself around 6:30 p.m.

The suspect, now identified as James Steen, 39, of Central Square, was not armed as he exited the building, and police could not immediately confirm whether a weapon was found inside the apartment. Steen was later charged with second degree murder and is being held without bail at the Oswego County jail.

When officers entered the apartment, they found two people dead. Todd says they are not releasing the victim's names until the family is notified. He says the relationship of the hostage and the two victims is still under investigation.

How the victims died is also being investigated. Todd says it will take several hours for officers to process the crime scene and piece together what happened. "It was a long process. We got him out, the end result was very tragic but we were able to end the scene with no one else getting hurt," he said.

The adjacent apartments were immediately evacuated once police arrive on the scene Sunday afternoon.