Police officer shot, suspect dead after traffic stop

Syracuse Police are still at the scene of the car stop, in a laundromat parking lot along South Salina Street. / Action News Anchor Matt Mulcahy

Update 11:45 am:

Syracuse Police have released new information on the condition of the two officers involved in last night's shooting on the city's South side. Police Chief Gary Miguel says the officer who was shot twice by the suspect is expected to be released from the hospital soon. He was wounded in the shoulder and also has a hole in his back the size of a quarter from a bullet. Police credit the bullet proof vest the officer was wearing for saving his life. Police say the second officer, who shot and killed the suspect, is suffering from a lacerated ear drum. The officer has lost his hearing in that ear and it's not known if the loss is permanent or temporary. Police say the officer was injured when the suspect fired his gun near the officer's ear.

Update 11:40 pm:

Syracuse Police Chief Gary Miguel says his officers were warned last week about a man who opened fire on them Monday night. During a late news conference, Miguel released a picture of James Tyson, who was shot and killed by police during a shootout. The Crime Analysis Unit put out an officer safety alert about a week ago regarding Tyson. According to the alert, Tyson was a 33 year old parolee who was known to carry a silver handgun and drive a specific car.

Two police officers spotted that car at a little after 7:00pm on Monday night. They pulled the car over on Salina Street near Ballantyne Road. A struggle ensued, and Tyson pulled out a gun. The officers went for cover, and one was hit in the back and the shoulder. Doctors at University Hospital told the Chief the bullet nearly penetrated the vest and pressed into the officers back. The Doctors said the vest saved the officer's life. The injured officer was able to join in a foot chase down nearby Walrath Road. That's where officers shot and killed Tyson.

The injured officer was taken to University Hospital. He is expected to recover.

Stay with Action News and for the latest information on the case.

Posted 9:35 pm:

What started as a traffic stop led to a shootout, with one Syracuse Police officer shot, and the suspect dead. It happened just after 7:30 this evening on South Salina Street at Walrath and Ballantyne Road.

Early indications are, the police officer was shot twice, but his injuries are not life-threatening. He's being treated at University Hospital. Police Chief Gary Miguel says a bulletproof vest prevented a more critical injury. "We are very, very fortunate we didn't have an officer lose his life tonight," says Miguel.

Police are still piecing together the incident, but about 7:30 police pulled a car over to serve an arrest warrant, and as it sat in a laundromat parking lot, the man inside began shooting as police approached. The suspect ran east on Walrath and ended up on the lawn of a home.

A second officer involved in the shooting is now at the Syracuse Public Safety Building, helping reconstruct the incident. The suspect's car is still in the parking lot, its door open, and the intersection remains cordoned off, as dozens of Syracuse Police cars and the SWAT Team are still the scene.

Syracuse Chief Gary Miguel, at the scene, says this shows the kind of danger Syracuse Police Officers face every night on the streets.