Police release more details on Liverpool murder

Angela Harris and Alex Martinez

A news conference was held Monday morning regarding the murder of 21-year-old Angela Harris, whom police say was killed by her husband and dumped in a reservoir in Fishkill.

The New York State Police and Onondaga County District Attorney TMs Office told reporters that 22-year-old Alex Martinez of Grampion Road in Clay turned himself in to police Sunday and admitted to murdering his wife Angela Saturday morning. Martinez is said to have walked into the Beacon Police Department and told the desk officer that he killed Harris by slamming her head into a wall and then choking her to death. An autopsy has been scheduled to determine the exact cause of death.

Police then recounted more details of the crime. Police mentioned that when Martinez was struggling to load Harris's body into his truck, two people came to help not knowing what was actually inside the container.

After making the four hour drive to the reservoir in Dutchess County, police say that Martinez hauled Harris's body out of the truck and dumped it into the water. Martinez apparently tried to weigh the body down with cement, but that did not work and the body remained afloat. Martinez also attempted to burn some of Harris TMs personal belongings, but eventually gave up and turned himself into the police when he could not sink the body.

It was also revealed at the news conference that Harris and Martinez TMs six-month-old son and six pets were present in their apartment on Grampion Road at the time of the alleged murder, and was again with Martinez when he tried to sink Harris TMs body in the Beacon Reservoir. It was also said that Harris purchased plastic bags and cement prior to the homicide.

Police say that the couple had a previous history of domestic incidents, including a physical controntation in September 2007. Friends of the couple also spoke of a separate incident in June 2008, while Harris was pregnant. The couple was married in February 2009.

Martinez is being held without bail in the Onondaga County Justice Center. The couple's son is now in the care of his maternal grandparents.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the New York State Police at 845-298-0398.