Police say 6-year-old girl died from portable generator fumes, brother in serious condition
Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:29:42 GMT —
Police say a 6-year-old girl has died and her teenage brother is hospitalized after carbon monoxide from a portable generator filled their home.
The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports that the state Public Service Commission will investigate the death of the 6-year-old Salina girl to determine what role the termination of electric service at the home played. The agency routinely investigates serious accidents related to utility shut-offs.
Gabriella Collins died Friday. Her calling hours were held Tuesday afternoon, and she was laid to rest Wednesday morning.
Collins' father found her and her 14-year-old brother unconscious when he returned to the house around 7:00 a.m Friday. The boy, Jaden Collins, is hospitalized in serious condition as of Wednesday morning.
A National Grid spokeswoman says the utility shut off power to the house in mid-August for unpaid bills. She said power couldn't be restored until the homeowner repaired a faulty grounding wire.
(Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.)