Police: Teen charged for school bus shooting in Utica; other suspects sought
UTICA, N.Y. —
Utica Police say a teen has been charged for his alleged role in the shooting of a school bus last month.
Police said it happened on October 25 at around 2:25 p.m. at Proctor High School. Officers investigating a shots fired incident learned a school bus with students inside had been struck by a bullet while waiting to leave the school's parking lot.
A bullet was found lodged in a seat, which was occupied by a child, police said. WKTV reports three people in a red sedan were trying to shoot someone outside the car, but missed and struck the bus instead.
Police said dozens of students were on the bus at the time; none were hurt.
An investigation indicated the suspects in the case had fled the area to avoid police, Utica Police said. On November 13, 17-year-old Matthew "Casper" Millan, of Utica, was found at a home in Bronx, NY by U.S. Marshals and turned over to Utica Police.
Police say Millan spoke with investigators and provided a statement about his involvement in the case.
Millan now faces charges of Reckless Endangerment and Criminal Possession of a Weapon, police said.
Additional arrests are expected as the investigation continues, police said.