Possible gas leak investigated at University Hospital
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 20:09:51 GMT —
University Hospital says a gas smell prompted the evacuation of 40 patients from the emergency room Friday afternoon.
According to a hospital spokesperson, the gas smell was first reported around 3:30 p.m. The patients were removed from the emergency room as a precautionary measure.
A nurse on the 10th floor in the Oncology ward tells CNYCentral that it all of a sudden smelled like someone dumped car gasoline on the floor. The odor did not smell like natural gas, she said.
Patients and staff returned to the hospital around 4 p.m after officials reviewed the emergency room and gave it an all-clear. Several Syracuse Fire Department trucks, National Grid, Syracuse Police and Upstate Medical University fire Marshalls responded to the scene.
The hospital was given clearance by all responding departments. Hospital officials say meter readings are normal and the source of the smell is still being reviewed.