42 / 25
      44 / 29
      42 / 32

      Questions linger over carbon monoxide detectors after apartment evacuation in Clay

      Tenants are still frustrated after 26 people were evacuated from their apartment complex on Sunday due to a carbon monoxide leak. At least three people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning related to the leak, according to The Red Cross.

      Dawne Sears was evacuated from building one along with her brother, sister-in-law and her niece and step-niece. "They're pounding on the door, you got to leave now, and it's like they expected us to walk out just then and there, but we had two kids to get ready, to get dressed, because they had just woken up," says Sears.

      The Sears family was forced to leave their apartment yesterday morning and have gone to a nearby hotel. Today they are asking questions over where whether the correct number of carbon monoxide detectors were in place in building 1. Just days before this incident, tenants brought this complex to court over several issues, including carbon monoxide sensors not being installed on every floor and every bedroom in the townhouse apartments.

      The Syracuse Fire Department says that after Amanda's law went into effect in 2010, sweeping changes were made to where detectors must be placed. They say in a similar unity to building one at Breckenridge, carbon monoxide can be produced through a water heater and so a detector must be placed in each sleeping area throughout the building.

      They Sears family isn't surprised by these questions over the carbon monoxide sensors. Since they moved in here 3 years ago, they say they have had nothing but problems.

      Bill Sears was staying at the Super 8 motel after being forced out from his apartment. "They give you the runaround, anytime there's an issue you know they say we have to do this and this first. We have to get approval for the credit to get parts or whatever the excuse is this time," says Sears. "No heat the entire time I've lived there. There's been water leaks all over the place, one of our neighbors didn't have a ceiling for like 9 months, something like that because of a water leak. They didn't get it repaired on the ball anyhow, they took their time with it."

      Problems which this complex is trying to fix today by installing a new water heater in building one to stop any future carbon monoxide leaks. This is something that tenants hope is only the beginning of changes.

      We reached out to the complex to see where they stand today, but they have given no comment.