Residents in a two block area of Sherrill, Oneida County, were evacuated for about four hours while crews repair a gas leak.
Oneida County Emergency Management said the leak was in the area of Sherrill Road and East Hinds Avenue.
Sherrill City Manager Robert Comis says a maintenance crew was working in the area and hit the main gas line. The gas line was marked; however, he says there were other things in the area.
The leak began around 10:30 a.m. and there is a smell of gas in the air near the leak.
Comis, says gas was shooting straight up from the gas line, which crews say is good because the gas wonâ??t get into the ground.
National Grid is working to finish repairs and crews expect to have it fixed today. Comis says the gas main has been closed off.
Residents were allowed to return to their homes around 2:00 p.m.