72
      Sunday
      86 / 67
      Monday
      88 / 66
      Tuesday
      84 / 63

      Space heater may have sparked massive Volney fire

      Photo Credit: Chris McGrath

      Fire Investigators tell CNY Central a space heater most likely sparked a massive fire at a home in Volney, around the corner from the Minetto Bridge.

      Reports of a structure fire came in shortly after 2:30 pm at 3631 County Route 57, which is split up into four apartments. Six people lived inside the building, but only two were home at the time. They both got out safely and managed to rescue several kittens.

      Heavy plumes of thick, black smoke billowing from the home could be seen for miles.

      It took firefighters more than two hours to get the flames under control. Volney Fire Chief Edward Weldin said metal roofing on the home made it difficult for crews to fight the flames, because it stayed largely intact during the fire, keeping flames confined deep into the building.

      The Red Cross is helping out the six people who lost everything in the fire.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER