Syracuse fire crews called to three fires in less than 12 hours

Firefighters put out the Manilla Street fire Sunday afternoon.

The Syracuse Fire Department was called to three fires in less than 12 hours on Sunday, one of which has been called an arson.

One of the fires was on Manilla Street in Syracuse. Fire Chief Mark McLees says the call came in a little after noon on Sunday.

Eight people live in the house. Three adults and a child were home at the time the fire started. McLees says an adult smelled smoke and ran next door to get a fire extinguisher. He ran back to the house to try to put the fire out, but the house was cluttered, and he wasn't able to get to the fire.

Everyone was able to make it out of the house safely, but McLees says the back of the house has caved in, and the home is badly damaged.

Investigators still do not know what caused that fire. Crews fought the fire from outside the house.

This was the third fire crews fought on Sunday since the early morning hours.

"It's a very, very hot and humid day," says McLees. "Firefighters are taking a beating here, so we're trying to rotate crews through. There's no reason to beat up our firefighters anymore than we have to here."

McLees says a fire on Spring Street was caused by an electrical problem around 3:30 a.m. A woman and two children were taken to Upstate University Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. One other adult also lived in the home but was uninjured.

Another fire on West Colvin Street appears to have been intentionally set. 18-year-old Nateasha Davis faces arson charges after police say she started a fire that sent three families and seven total people fleeing from the home.

Davis is scheduled to be arraigned Monday morning in city court. Police say she had an argument with a tenant in the building and allegedly set a fire on the back porch around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The residents all got out safely.

The Red Cross says it is assisting each of the families affected by these three fires.