Syracuse man found with cocaine and marijuana after fleeing police
A Syracuse man was found with cocaine and marijuana after he crashed his car while fleeing police Friday afternoon, according to Syracuse Police.
Jacob Mekete, 20, was found with 2.1 grams of cocaine, 22.5 ounces of marijuana, and an amount of concentrated cannabis, police said.
Mekete was arrested and charged with:
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Third Degree
- two counts of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Seventh Degree
- Criminal Possession of Marijuana in the Second Degree
- Unlawful Possession of Marijuana
- Reckless Endangerment in the Second Degree
- Unlawfully Fleeing a Police Officer in the Third Degree
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- Resisting Arrest, and a number of other vehicle and traffic law violations.
Around 1:22 p.m., Syracuse Police officers conducted a traffic stop for Mekete's vehicle in the 100 block of Tex Simone Drive, police said.
When officers exited their patrol car, Mekete sped away and later lost control of his vehicle, crashing into a guard rail, fence, and power transformer in the 2100 block of Park Street, according to police.
Police said Mekete then exited his vehicle and fled on foot. He was later caught by police after a foot pursuit, and fought with police as they attempted to take him into custody.
Mekete was sent to the Onondaga County Justice Center pending arraignment, according to Syracuse Police