MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Court docs: Target stores bomb plot was to start in CNY

A Florida man is under arrest Friday morning accused of planning to blow up several Target Stores along the East Coast, including here in Central New York.

Court Documents show a confident source wore a recording device, provided by law enforcement, when he met with 48-year-old Mark Charles Barnett of Ocala.

During that meeting court documents say the confident source told Barnett he placed four of the original 10 devices in Target stores north of Florida. Barnett reportedly responded with saying quote "Get as far north as you can go" because "we don't want to make it a localized thing." The confident source said he planned to go to Syracuse, NY for that purpose. As the meeting continued Barnett suggested the man to "start in Syracuse and work your way back down."

The U.S. Department of Justice filed the complaint alleging Barnett built the devices and paid the man $10,000 to place the bombs on store shelves, disguised in food packaging.

RELATED | Man accused of plotting explosions at multiple Target stores to make company stock fall

Officials say instead of going through with the plan the man went to the authorities.

Barnett is charged with “possession of a firearm (destructive device) affecting commerce by a previously convicted felon."

If convicted, Barnett faces up to 10 years in prison.

Police say Barnett wanted to make Target's stock drop so he could buy cheap shares, then resell the shares when the value rose again.

Click here to read the criminal complaint against Barnet.

Trending

LOADING