A village named for pack horses that died in the American Revolution has a new monument marking its 175th anniversary.
The bronze statue of a pack horse was unveiled Saturday morning near the village hall in Horseheads, 70 miles south of Syracuse. The ceremony wrapped up a yearlong celebration of the village's anniversary.
Horseheads got its name from the sick and disabled pack horses disposed of following the Clinton-Sullivan expedition in August 1779, a key campaign of the American Revolution. The native Iroquois gathered the skulls and lined them up. The spot became known as the "valley of the horse's heads."