Water pressure in Camillus could be low due to factory inferno
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 01:39:33 GMT —
On Monday evening, as smoke continued to rise from the former Camillus Cutlery factory, local police were asking for the community's assistance in avoiding the Village of Camillus to allow for fire personnel to continue fighting the blaze.
Police also warned area residents may see a temporary decrease in water pressure do to fire fighting efforts. Onondaga County water officials are working on increasing pressure. Late Monday evening, officials issued a boil water advisory for the Village of Camillus.
From the Onondaga Co. Water Authority: OCWA has been coordinating with Onondaga County Fire Control and the fire crews on site have been switching their water flow from our hydrants to the creek near the factory. OCWA has also directed fire crews to hydrants that can provide water without impacting the residents that are currently experiencing a low or no flow situation. OCWA operations personnel are working in the area to increase flow to refill the tanks serving the Village. Additionally crews are working throughout the area to alleviate air trapped in the mains that may impede water flow to the tanks and water mains. Once the tank levels and flow in the water mains has been restored to acceptable minimum levels, OCWA water quality personnel will draw samples and run bacteriological tests. The entire process will take the better part of two days. The Boil Water Advisory will remain in effect until all water samples confirm the water is safe to drink. Once the water samples indicate all is safe OCWA will issue a second notice lifting the Advisory.
Kevin Wisely, the Commissioner of the Onondaga County Department of Emergency Management, says crews will be working throughout the night into the morning fighting the flames in this "deep-seated, stubborn fire."
Click here for incredible images of the blaze.
Firefighters have been able to contain the fire to the building of origin. The roof has already collapsed to the third floor.
Wisely says they believe the fire started when maintenance workers began doing some prep work for demolition.
One firefighter was injured on the scene. A master stream device was having some issues and hit him. He's currently in the hospital in stable condition, according to Wisely. No other injuries have been reported.
Camillus Cutlery was one of the oldest knife-makers in America, and a landmark in the village, sprawling 90,000 square feet. The plant shut down in 2007 after more than 100 years of operation.